Wind taken out turbine plans admid concerns for the natural landscape
A controversial scheme for wind turbines in Friskney has been thrown out following fears it would have a negative impact on thelandscape.
At an East Lindsey planning committee meeting, members voted unanimously to refuse an application for four turbines on farmland, from RWE npower Renewables Ltd.
“If this went ahead, it would have a devastating impact on the landscape,” said, Coun Terry Knowles.
Coun Jill Makinson-Sanders protested: “At 127-metres, these turbines would be as third as high again as the spire at Louth parish church – the tallest in the country.
“They would be a real blot on the countryside.”
The refusal came despite a presentation from the company’s regional development manager Robin Basten, who said any impact on the environment would be ‘negligible’, adding there had been no objection from Natural England.
Other objectors had fears the turbines would ‘industrialise’ the fenland landscape and put birds in the area at risk from their blades.
The application site, off Fodderdyke Bank, is within 5km of the Wainfleet All Saints conservation area and no fewer than 68 listed buildings.
The meeting, at East Lindsey District Council’s Manby HQ, was attended by about 40 residents from the Friskney area.
The proposals received 1,210 letters against the application, and just four in favour of it.
Objections were also lodged by most parish councils in the area, including those at Friskney, Stickney and Eastville, Midville and New Leake.
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 37 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east