‘I turned down Oxford university place for apprenticeship’
A carpentry apprentice from Boston who turned down a place at the University of Oxford to pursue a vocational route is visiting schools to promote her career path.
Toni Clough has spent the past 18 months working with Kier in Boston fitting kitchen, floorboards and doors and will move on to an advanced apprenticeship in September.
She said: “I can’t recommend an apprenticeship highly enough. It is great learning a trade and being part of a team.
“I think it is important to encourage a new generation to think about apprenticeships as an option.”
Rhian Lawton, a CITB-ConstructionSkills Careers Adviser, said: “National Apprenticeship Week offers a really valuable opportunity to show that, even in challenging economic times, apprentices are enjoying the dual benefits of earning a wage while learning a trade.
“Toni will move on to do her Advanced Apprenticeship in September which will allow her to develop a higher level of practical skills and a more in-depth knowledge of the industry.
“The construction industry needs a constant pipeline of fresh talent to meet future demands, and we hope that young people across the East of England are taking note of everything that’s happening this week and finding out more about apprenticeships.”
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: South west