County highways chiefs say they are keen to get the views of residents about a controversial £28,000 traffic calming scheme planned for a busy Boston road.
Last week we revealed how Lincolnshire County Council has drawn up plans for 10 traffic calming chicanes along Eastwood Road in a bid to stop speeding.
The staggered islands would force motorists to wait for oncoming traffic – but residents told The Standard last week that the scheme is ‘ludicrous’ and will create unnecessary congestion.
Principal Highways Officer Hamish McConchie explained that the plan was drawn up after surveys.
He said: “We’re proposing to undertake some traffic calming measures here after a review of speeds showed that drivers travel at around 35mph on this road.
“This doesn’t meet the criteria for speed cameras but has been deemed suitable for traffic calming measures to help improve safety. We’re currently consulting people about this, and would welcome any further comments.”
The council admits the plan has had a ‘mixed response’ from residents but said that the borough and parish council supports it.
If agreed work would start on January 7 and take three weeks. A similar scheme is planned for Tollfield Road.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North west