With snow and ice forcast for the weeekend and into Monday Lincolnshire County Council says it will be out in force gritting the roads.
The authority has confirmed its full fleet of 43 gritters will be regularly treating 1,869 miles of priority routes around the clock, which includes all A and B rounds in the county.
However, it has reiterated that despite this it can never be guaranteed that roads will be completely clear of ice, and motorists should take extreme care on routes whether they have been treated or not.
The council said it has to prioritise salting the roads, so expect footpaths to be slippery. And although it can’t respond to specific requests for footways to be gritted, some priority paths are treated.
The council has also stated that people can take a common sense approach to clearing snow or ice from their property or street, and encourages communities to work with them in keeping roads and pavements safe during the winter months.
The county currently has 23,600 tonnes of salt in stock, and a further 5,000 tonnes will be arriving in the near future. During the especially bad winter of 2009/10 some 34,000 tonnes in total were used from October to March.
People are encouraged to Follow the Gritter Twitter for updates and ice reports via: @LincsCC_Winter
There is also a specific section of the website with gritting FAQs: www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/grittingfaqs
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: South west