Council criticised over cancelled Christmas events

Crowds turned out to see last year's lights switch-on ceremony in the Market Place
Crowds turned out to see last year's lights switch-on ceremony in the Market Place

The former Boston BID chairman has blamed the council over the cancellation of key Christmas events in the town.

Alan Ellis, of Harmony Music, spoke to The Standard yesterday when we received word that the main celebrity lights switch-on ceremony and Christmas Market was to be axed due to health and safety regulations not being met.

“I feel absolutely gut-wrenched,” said Mr Ellis.

“The council are hiding behind health and safety. This is not our decision.

“BID worked on this for a long time and put hundreds of hours in to bring something nice to the people of Boston and give a boost to local traders - but they have put every obstacle in the way and we have had to jump through hoops.”

Responding to the criticism, Boston Borough Council leader Coun Peter Bedford said: “To the allegation that the council has put every obstacle in the way and never wanted the event to take place – ridiculous, why would we want to do such a thing? The fact is Boston BID left so many things undone. The brave lady who took the project on after them had a most difficult task.

“No one should take risks where the health and safety of the public is concerned.”

He added: “Christmas is not cancelled in Boston. All the usual unique and independent traders are still open for business, and they need your support, particularly at this time of the year.”

For more on events still going ahead in Boston from Friday - see our home page.