Police are investigating after a banner protesting the Quadrant development was damaged only days after it had been put up.
Wyberton Quadrant Action Group campaigners have been putting up materials promoting their campaign to stop the development since a parish referendum was announced last week.
However, after putting up a banner on the entrance to Saundergate Lane East at the weekend, the campaigners this morning (Tuesday) found it in tatters.
The Quadrant development, by Chestnut Homes, includes 500 houses, a new road for Boston and a new home for Boston United off the A16 at Wyberton.
Campaigner Sue Bell said: “We are a group of people, Wyberton Quadrant Action Group, who represent a number of voters in the village of Wyberton who have organised to have banners in place on private land requesting: VOTE NO.
“These banners come at a price. We all have a right to freedom of speech.
“This incident has been reported to the police. Our other banners are in places where CCTV operates.”
Other banners and posters in prominent positions and private land have not so far been affected.
Explaining the reason behind the banners, which have been made professionally at a cost of £80-100 to the group, she said ‘we feel the need to show we are in the countryside and a village location. We are a strong community and want to keep our identity, not just be swallowed up by Boston’.
The parish referendum is due to take place at Wyberton Village Hall on June 19, from 4-9pm.
A police spokesman confirmed the report for criminal damage has been recorded.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 quoting incident number 81 of June 4.