A 78-year-old woman who took brandy and hot water to ease a head-cold has been given a £285 fine and disqualified from driving for 20 months.
Yvonne Beck, of Church Green Road, Boston, pleaded guilty to driving above the legal limit after being found to have 151 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80 milligrammes.
Prosecutor Becky Ritson told Boston Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday that shortly after 5pm on January 5, police were called to a collision between two cars on Eastwood Road, Boston, where Beck was found sitting in the passenger seat of her Rover 25.
After being treated by paramedics Beck failed a roadside breath test and was taken to Boston Police Station, where she gave the positive blood reading.
Mrs Ritson added Beck had admitted to being the driver of the vehicle.
Defending, Philippa Chatterton said Beck had taken brandy, hot water and sugar as self-medication for a head-cold.
She said: “She felt no side effects of the alcohol and felt she was getting better and so decided to take a trip to the shops.”
Upon reaching Eastwood Road, she found cars ‘unusually’ parked on both the left and right-hand side of the road and a white van in her way which ‘refused to budge’, added Ms Chatterton.
When she went to move out the way herself she then collided with a Honda car.
Ms Chatterton added that Beck’s car was her lifeline and that she had said she would drive again if found fit to do so.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west