Doctor accused of sexual abuse cleared by court jury

A HOSPITAL doctor accused of sexually abusing two elderly women patients in Boston while examining them for back pain has been cleared by a jury at Lincoln Crown Court.

Dr Mahend Bissonauth had denied the charges telling the jury he found the allegations against him ‘repulsive.’

On Monday, the jury of 10 men and two women returned not guilty verdicts after deliberating for less than two hours at the end of a five-day trial.

Dr Bissonauth, 43, of St Andrews Street, Heckington, had denied two charges of sexually assaulting an 86-year-old blind woman and a further charge of sexually assaulting an 88-year-old while working at Pilgrim Hospital, on July 15, 2010.

Dr Bissonauth, a former civil engineer who switched to medicine when he was in his 30s, said afterwards: “I am very pleased with the outcome of the hearing, and relieved to put this matter behind me. I have always carried out my work with the utmost integrity and remain committed to caring for my patients.

“I would like to thank my friends and family who have supported me through this difficult time.”

During his trial the doctor, who was working at Pilgrim Hospital as part of his training to become a GP, admitted he examined both women without a chaperone but told the jury there was no need as he did not intimately examine either patient. He told the jury: “I didn’t do these things.”

He added he carried out a proper examination of each of the women’s backs after they complained. In the case of the 86-year-old he said he stopped after it was clear she was in pain.

When asked by his barrister David Morris if he had rubbed the thighs of the 88-year-old, as alleged by the prosecution, he replied: “I certainly did not. I never had any intention of having sex with that patient. It’s repulsive. I was horrified that such things were being said about me.”

The jury heard Dr Bissonauth, who is originally from Mauritius, qualified as a doctor at Leicester University in 2006 and the following year started a further three year training course with the intention of qualifying as a GP.

Jeremy Janes, prosecuting, had earlier told the jury the two women, who were on different wards at the hospital, independently complained about the doctor.

The prosecutor claimed what began as legitimate examinations strayed into the unlawful and became sexual assaults.

The jury was told the 86-year-old has since died and evidence she recorded was played to the jury on a DVD.