Drove while disqualified to get to work

A DESPERATE bid to get to work to avoid facing redundancy caused a Boston man to drive while disqualified, a court was told.

Rui Coimbra, of Tilney Avenue, was normally taken to work by a colleague or his wife, but on June 27, when his colleague was on holiday and his wife was unwell, he used the family car to drive himself, Boston magistrates heard on Wednesday.

Police arrested the 28-year-old, who was disqualified last year for drink-driving, after the registration number of the car he was driving was picked up by their computer system as being associated with the offence.

The defendant pleaded guilty to the offence.

Neil Sands, defending, said: “Mr Coimbra was the sole breadwinner for the family and it had been made clear that if he didn’t turn up for work there were plenty of other people who would do the job. With that in mind he decided to take the risk and drive,”

Officers did not arrest Mr Coimbra until they arrived at his home to question the owners of the car about its connection to the disqualified driver.

Mr Sands added: “There are those in those circumstances who might say nothing and the police would have been left high and dry. Mr Coimbra admitted what he had done and apologised and then he was arrested.”

Magistrates sentenced him to 100 hours of unpaid work to be completed within 12 months.

He also pleaded guilty to driving without insurance. He was fined £250, as well as being told to pay £85 costs and a £15 surcharge.