A man swung a sledgehammer at a colleague during a drink-fuelled fight at a Christmas party in a busy Boston pub, a court has been told.
Carl Lewis is said to have aimed the tool at the head of a work mate who he believed had attacked his mother at the Spirit of Endeavour pub, where the group was drinking, Boston magistrates heard.
The 23-year-old claimed he picked up the weapon to defend himself when several people seemed to turn against him, but, on Wednesday, the bench was told a witness saw him draw it back and aim it.
Lewis, of Redstone Caravan Park, Boston, admitted using threatening behaviour and possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.
Jim Clare, prosecuting, said that on December 21, an argument developed between Lewis’ colleagues, which escalated into a fight outside the pub. Assistant manager Holly Bradley said about 20 people were involved in the fight.
Reading from her statement, Mr Clare said: “He (Lewis) took out a large sledgehammer. He raised it over his right shoulder with both hands and swung. I grabbed hold of it and took it off him. His actions seemed excessive, and it could have been so much worse if I had not taken it off him.”
In mitigation, John Storer said Lewis had only been holding the weapon, but accepted he should not have grabbed it.
He added: “He thought the man had hit his mother and he lashed out to protect her from assault.
“It was six of one and half a dozen of the other.
“It was just an alcohol-fuelled argument.”
Magistrates sent Lewis to Lincoln Crown Court for sentencing.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: South west