More cats poisoned with anti-freeze

editorial image

The RSPCA is investigating ‘highly-distressing’ reports of a number of cats poisoned by anti-freeze in Boston.

Recent incidents relate to the Woad Farm Road area - where a number of pets are said to have died after ingesting the toxic substance.

Some residents have taken to social media to express their fears the acts could be deliberate - with the area blighted by a number of cases this winter.

As reported on January 7 - one young cat owner from nearby Minnows Close was left devastated after her pet cat was poisioned and spoke to The Standard to raise awareness of the issue.

Marshlands Vets have also confirmed they dealt with several cases this winter.

Speaking about the recent reports, RSPCA animal welfare officer Becky Harper said: “It is difficult to know for sure what happened and how these poor cats was poisoned, but this was a highly-distressing incident and we urge anyone with any information to call us.

“Poisoning causes a lot of pain and distress and is often fatal.

“We urge people to be careful when using anti-freeze and other poisonous chemicals - to clear up any spills and to store and discard it safely.

“There is also the worrying possibility that someone did this deliberately so if anyone has seen anything suspicious please contact us on 0300 123 8018.”

“While we do not know if these incidents are deliberate or accidental we do want to remind people that deliberately poisoning an animal could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.”

If you are concerned that your pet may have been poisoned please contact your vet immediately.

Signs that your animal could have been poisoned vary and can include any of the following: depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, twitching or seizures.

People should be careful when putting down any substances which are potentially poisonous to ensure that other animals are not affected (eg slug pellets) and that substances are stored appropriately and properly disposed of, rather than dumping them on a roadside or in a park.

For information on how to detect poisoning log onto www.rspca.org.uk/poisoning