A man is accused of stabbing a stranger to death - including a blow that ‘pierced’ his heart - after going to the aid of a young woman who was walking home alone after a drunken night out.
Boston 38-year-old Stephen Sleaford is alleged to have knifed Janusz Smoderek, 48, after going to help the woman who was receiving unwanted attention” from the Polish father-of-three.
A murder trial jury at Lincoln Crown Court was today told that Sleaford acted lawfully at first when he and another man separated Mr Smoderek from the woman after coming across them on their way home from a pub in Boston.
But Tim Spencer, QC, prosecuting told the court Mr Sleaford then pulled out a knife and stabbed Mr Smoderek when he was no longer a threat to anybody else.
Sleaford, of no fixed address, denies the murder of Janusz Smoderek on September 11, 2011,
The trial which is expected to last four weeks continues.
See more on this story in tomorrow’s Boston Standard.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west