Neighbour dispute ends up in the court

Court news.
Court news.

A man drunkenly jumped over his neighbour’s fence in order to punch him after a long standing dispute, magistrates have been told.

Paul Hazzard, 35, of Shaw Road, Boston, appeared at the town’s magistrates’ court on Wednesday, where he pleaded guilty to assaulting a neighbour.

Prosecutor Nick Todd said the victim and some friends were in the garden in a summer house at about 11.30pm.

He said Hazzard had climbed over the garden fence, gone into the summer house and punched the victim once - without anything being said.

He said Hazzard was arrested the next day where in interview he said he was drunk and had been to a birthday party earlier in the day.

Defending, Mike Alexander, disputed that nothing was said between the defendant and victim prior to
the incident.

He said the incident was as a result of a long standing uneasiness between the two neighbours.

He said: “Since he has moved into the place, for some reason he has had some difficulty with those neighbours.

“The neighbours seem to be just staring at him and saying occasional aggressive words to him.”

Mr Alexander said that on the day in question Hazard, along with the neighbours on the other side of him who he got on well with, had been to a ‘function’.

He said they had returned home with their children at about 11pm and said Hazzard had described himself as drunk but not ‘drunk drunk because he had the children’.

He had gone outside for a cigarette before going to bed. However, words were exchanged between him and the neighbours resulting in the victim challenging him to go over the fence – which he did, said Mr Alexander.

Since the incident, the fence has been built up to six feet high blocking the neighbours from each other.

Mr Alexander said Hazzard had gone to the police station the next morning and handed himself in, saying ‘I’m here’.

He said the father-of-two was on Employment Support Allowance and was set to undergo tests for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Magistrates gave Hazzard an 18 month conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.