A disqualified driver has been banned from the roads yet again, after getting behind the wheel when he was not allowed for the second time.
Steven Fordham, of Kyme Road, Boston, was coming to the end of a 21-month driving ban imposed in 2010 when he drove his car on Carlton Road on December 30, Boston Magistrates’ Court was told.
The 28-year-old was only serving that sentence in the first place because he drove when he was banned for another offence, the bench heard.
On Wednesday, Fordham admitted driving while disqualifed and using a car without insurance.
Rebecca Ritson, prosecuting, said he was caught out when police spotted the car and a computer search showed the driver was disqualified. The officer then followed him and caused him to stop.
However, Ms Ritson added: “Mr Fordham left the vehicle and walked away, but then he began to run off down an alleyway.”
The officer eventually tracked him down in a garden in Haven Bank.
In mitigation, Andrew Goldsborough told magistrates a friend of Fordham’s had been repairing the car, and he made the decision to drive it back to his home when he was caught.
He said: “He accepts he drove while disqualified and he accepts that when he saw the officer he ran. The traffic was light and it was dark and he made the silly decision to move the car to his address.”
Following advice from the probation service, magistrates imposed a further six-month ban, as well as a 12-month community order with 180 hours’ unpaid work. He also has to pay a £60 surcharge and £85 costs.