Vigilante-style attack on suspected paedophile

A MAN carried out a vigilante-style attack on a suspected paedophile after tracking the man down to a secret address, Lincoln Crown Court was told yesterday (Tuesday).

Ian Stones, 25, of New York, discovered the man was at an address on the outskirts of Spalding, and after driving to the property forced his way inside.

Kevin Barry, prosecuting, said “The car pulled up. The occupants got out and went to the rear door.

“The man saw the car pull up and immediately was in a panic.”

An elderly woman at the house attempted to stop the car’s occupants entering the property but they forced their way past her.

Stones put the man in a headlock and shouted he was taking him to Boston.

Although the man was able to get out of the hold Stones then punched him in the face.

The man fled into the living room at the property but was knocked down and attacked again with a 15 year old boy also joining in.

Eventually the attackers left and police were called.

The court was told that at the time Stones was on bail after being arrested for damaging the man’s car.

Stones admitted assaulting occasioning actual bodily harm on September 10 last year. He was given a community order with 180 hours of unpaid work.

Judge Michael Heath told him: “It is quite clear that you were taking the law into your own hands which you cannot do.

“I emphasise that I am only dealing with you in this way because you have already spent the equivalent of six months in prison.”

The 15-year-old boy was given a 12 month conditional discharge.

Gordon Aspden, defending, said the incident happened at a time when Stones was grieving following the death of his grandfather and he acted out of character after being told of the allegation against the man.

He said: “The victim suffered relatively minor injuries. There was no weapon taken to the scene. This was just fists.

“He is repentant for what he did and recognises that it was wrong.

“In my submission there is a very low risk of him coming before the courts again.”

Mr Aspden said the 15-year-old boy worked hard at school and has never been in trouble before.

The court was told that police investigations are continuing into the assault victim following an allegation that he carried out a sex attack on a young girl.