Deaths spark RSPCA warning of cat poisoning

Dennis and Daffodil.
Dennis and Daffodil.

The death of two rescue kittens, only 22 months old, has sparked the RSPCA to ask people to check where they keep chemicals, pesticides and anti-freeze and be careful when using them.

Dennis and Daffodil,were adopted from Lincs Arc - where they had been taken into fostering after their mum and siblings had been dumped.

Sadly, in August, they were rushed to Marshlands Vetenary by adoptive owner Zoie Wallis where they confirmed via bloor reports that they had suffered anti-freeze poisoning.

Zoie said: “They were only six months old when they came to us. We’d only had them for a year.

“All we can say is at least they had a year’s worth , knowing what a nice home was.”

She said: “They were very playful and very loved members of the family, regularly bringing mice and birds as presents.”

She praised the response by Marshlands as ‘wonderful’, adding: “They notified the RSPCA and liaised with them.

“The vet believes it can be as little as a 200 yard radius depending on cat territory.

Practice manager Michael Kettle confirmed there had been four or five cases in August, with 44 cases recorded overall in 2015.

He advised anyone who thought their cat had been poisoned to get them to a vet as soon as possible due to a very short window for treatment.

An RSPCA spokesperson said: “I’m really sorry to hear about Dennis and Daffodil, and my heart goes out to their owner.

“We would like to ask everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals like antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats. People should check their car radiators for leaks too.

Although there is no suggestion the poisonings were a malicious act, the spokesman said: “Causing unnecessary suffering to a cat is an offence and anyone with any specific information about what happened to them should call the RSPCA cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

“Signs of poisoning can include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

“If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.”