Let HMRC know if kids continue education

MORE than 780 parents of 16-year-olds in Boston could lose out on child benefit if they are continuing full-time education.

Parents of East of England teenagers, who are continuing in full time education, should let HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) know so that they can carry on receiving child benefit in September.

Director of benefits and credits Steve Lamey said: “At this time of year, families decide whether a child will continue in education or training once they have seen their GCSE results.

“If their child is staying on full-time, they need to let us know the full details as soon as possible so that their child benefit doesn’t stop on August 30.”

Parents of a child approaching 16 should receive a reminder and form in the post.

The form will ask them to provide HMRC with the details of the course and qualification, its start and end dates and the name and address of the school or college.

Parents can also make changes at www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/change-circs.htm or by calling 0845 302 1444.