A FATHER, who campaigned for road safety after the death of his teenage son, fell in a dyke on his way back from drinking in a village pub and died in a ‘tragic accident’, an inquest was told.
Ian Hackett, 58, (pictured) had been returning to his Eastfield Close home from the Beridge Arms in Sutterton when he fell into a dyke in One Way Street in the early hours of December 4.
A hearing at Spalding Magistrates’ Court on Friday was told how Mr Hackett’s post mortem showed the cause of death to be drowning.
An examination also showed him to have 258 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal drive limit is 80.
In a statement by David Niccoc, landlord of the Beridge Arms in Sutterton, he said Mr Hackett was a regular at his pub, who often talked about his son, James, and the fundraising he did for the charity Brake, which helps prevent young people dying on the country’s roads.
On the night of Friday, December 2, Mr Hackett had gone to the pub at about 10pm and consumed four pints of beer and three large whiskies before leaving two-and-a-half hours later.
That night he had been talking about having his credit cards stolen and he had been outside for a cigarette a couple of times before leaving to go home.
Mr Hackett’s nephew, Andrew Hluszko, said he was called the next morning because his uncle had not returned to his home in Eastfield Close.
Mr Hluszko searched the area in his car and stopped alongside the dyke in One Way Street.
He said: “It was dark and cold but I was shining my headlights and noticed a dark shape in the water.
“The dyke had about two foot of water in it and the sides were very steep, so I went home to get a pole.
“When I returned I went down the dyke and found my uncle.
“I became stuck and screamed for help to my dad, who called the emergency services.”
Coroner Maureen Taylor, recording a verdict of accidental death, said no-one would ever how Mr Hackett ended up in the water.
She described it as a ‘tragic accident’.