The Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the areas near the tidal River Witham, the Haven and the Wash frontage through its floodline alerts today (Tuesday).
The alert says that flooding is possible from Gibraltar Point to Kirton Marsh during tomorrow (Wednesday) morning’s high tide which is forecast for 9.06am.
It adds that high tides are also expected until Thursday.
It says :”These combined with northerly winds will lead to tidal levels up against flood embankments around the Wash frontage and Witham Haven.
“No significant flooding is expected, but public should be aware of high tide levels for these days.
”We will continue to monitor the situation and update this Alert as necessary.”
Warnings have been going out since Sunday, however, it was originally said the tides would only be expected until tomorrow (Wednesday).
Tips for being flood aware include:
- Be prepared to protect yourself, family, pets and property.
- Prepare a flood kit including a torch, batteries, mobile phone, warm clothes, water, food and any prescription medicines you may need.
- Avoid walking, cycling or driving through flood water.
- Farmers should consider moving livestock and equipment away from areas likely to flood.
- Be careful along beaches, promenades, coastal footpaths and roads.
- Keep an eye on local water levels and weather conditions. Visit the Environment Agency website www.gov.uk/environment-agency for river level and flooding information.
- Call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 using quickdial 03113 for up-to-date flooding information.