FLOOD ANNIVERSARY: ‘Make sure you’re protected for the future’

Aftermath of floods in Boston caused by a tidal surge.'Edwin Street. ENGEMN00120130912122956
Aftermath of floods in Boston caused by a tidal surge.'Edwin Street. ENGEMN00120130912122956

Authorities across the area are continuing to call on people to sign up to flood alerts and emergency planning kits as the anniversary of last year’s tidal surge draws near.

Lincolnshire County Council’s ‘Floods Destroy’ campaign got underway on Monday and is urging people to sign up for alerts and make a flood plan.

Head of emergency planning for the council David Powell said: “Here in Lincolnshire we face an ongoing risk of coastal flooding so planning is imperative to us. “Last year’s tidal surge had a devastating impact on residents in Boston, and if the wind was blowing in a south-westerly direction, it could have been much worse.

“Over the last 12 months we have continued to work with central government and the Environment Agency to develop our flooding strategy, helping us to reduce risks, and raise awareness amongst local residents. By working in partnership, we have made good progress in improving our response if people did need to evacuate their homes.

“The government has pledged to support us with flood rescue teams if required and progress continues to be made in planning for the Boston barrier, which will drastically minimise the effects of coastal flooding. “

For a flood kit visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lrf or call 0345 988 1188.

The Environment Agency is also calling on people to sign up to flood alerts.

Following the events of last December, the agency spent almost £2 million to return more than 30 individual damaged flood defences along the coast back to the level they were at prior to the surge.

The focus has now shifted to the Flood Barrier and getting that implemented quickly for the town.

They said that flood defences only reduce the likelihood of flooding and that people could never reduce risk entirely.

The EA said that if Boston had had the barrier up during the events of last year, the town would not have flooded.

A spokesman told The Standard that the latest consultation ends on December 10 and following that it hoped to submit a full report to the Secretary of State by Autumn 2015.

For details visit https://fwd.environment-agency.gov.uk/app/olr/home or call the Floodline on 0845 988 1188.