FLOODS: Marking the cost of town flooding

Flood pictures
Flood pictures

This week marks two years since the December 5 flooding in 2013 which resulted in £2.65 million Government money being spent on the town to help it recover.

A spokesman for Boston Borough Council this week confirmed that resilience work at all flood-affected properties in Boston where the owners had asked for help had been completed.

They said the money spent on the town is the ‘biggest tranche of Government cash made to any area after the devastating east coast flood’.

Council leader Coun Peter Bedford said: “It seems incredible that a few hours’ flooding could have led to so much misery for so many people over such a long period.

“I know it has been a long and difficult time for many, but I am pleased that it is now at an end, normal life has resumed, the flood resilience measures give increased confidence and security and I hope they all have a much nicer Christmas than the one they had two years ago.

“We lobbied Government hard and made sure that Owen Paterson, the Environment Secretary, was fully aware of the impact this was going to have on so many people’s lives when he visited the town on the Saturday after the Thursday night flood.

“Boston received the largest share of all flood money made available by Government and plans for the flood barrier were then fast tracked.

“I make no apology for continuing to urge that nothing delays the progress of the barrier. There is now available a final opportunity for people to see the latest design changes and the tidal flood defence scheme in more detail than ever before.”

A total of 515 residential and business properties applied for grants to help with recovery and measures including flood resistant external doors, air brick covers, one-way valves on foul water pipes and raised electrical systems, have been installed in properties.

The completion of the work sees the ‘flood team’ at the council, which was created from staff in a number of departments, step down and resume their normal duties.

A final chance to look at the public consultation and plans for the barrier will take place today (Wednesday) and tomorrow (Thursday) at the Boston Barrier Community Hub in Marsh Lane from noon to 7pm.

Boston Barrier manager for the Environment Agency Adam Robinson said: “This is the last opportunity that people living in Boston and the surrounding communities have to see the plans to reduce the risk of tidal flooding prior to our Transport and Works Act Order Application being submitted to the Government in spring 2016.

“This barrier will give the area one of the best standards of tidal flood defence outside of London, so we’d like as many people as possible to take a look at the proposals.”

The £92.3 million tidal flood alleviation barrier has been designed to reduce the risk of tidal flooding.

The new information will also be available to see on the scheme’s Facebook page – www.facebook.com/BostonBarrier

The Boston Barrier is currently expected to be completed by December 2019.