A PLANNED trip to Japan by Boston students is hoped to still go ahead this summer, but organisers admit the situation is being ‘constantly reviewed’ following the earthquake.
A group of 18 students, together with three chaperones, are due to visit Hakusan in July as part of a long-running exchange programme between the countries.
Last summer, a group of Hakusan students visited the town and on Wednesday Boston Borough Council cabinet members approved a £1,750 grant to organisers to help fund a return visit.
Chairman of the Hakusan Boston City Exchange Programme David Scoot said the city had not been affected by the earthquake and tsunami earlier this month and is far from the exclusion zone set up around the strickened Fukushimi nuclear plant, being on the opposite coast.
He added, however: “We are constantly reviewing the situation. No final decision has been made.”
The hope, Mr Scoot said, is to continue the exchange programme, ‘show our support’ for Japan and keep the friendships between the students going.
“It would break the Japanese hearts and the hearts of our students,” he said.
He stressed, however, safety would be the paramount in any decision.
If the group do go, the intention is to make a donation to the emergency fund on behalf of the town. To make a donation, send a cheque payable to the Boston Hakusan City Exchange Programme, c/o Hakusan City Exchange Programme, 210 Freiston Road, Boston, PE21 0JR.
l What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org