Homeless man abused firemen after air raid shelter went up in flames

The shelter in South Terrace
The shelter in South Terrace

A homeless man sleeping in an air raid shelter admitted committing drunk and disorderly behaviour after returning to find it on fire.

Leslek Wcislo, 34, of no fixed abode, appeared at Boston Magistrates’ Court last Wednesday, where he also admitted being in breach of a conditional discharge for a similar offence.

Leslek Wcislo

Leslek Wcislo

Prosecutor Nick Todd said Wcislo had been sleeping rough in the shelter because he was homeless.

He said that at 11.30pm last Tuesday, Fire and Rescue attended a fire at the bunker on South Terrace. He said Wcislo became abusive towards crews and police were called to arrest him.

He added all his previous convictions were for drunk and disorderly offences.

Defending Rachel Stevens said Wcislo, who has lived in the country for nine years, had been to a local church where he was given some food.

She said: “He came home to find the fire brigade spraying water into the shelter he’d been living in.”

She suggested he thought somebody had set fire to his belongings but the police are not treating the matter
 as arson.

She said: “He was trying to go into the hut and they were, understandably, stopping him.”

Wcislo was fined £50, but he had spent 18 hours in custody and this was taken in lieu of the payment. No action was taken on his breach.

Following his court case Wcislo told The Standard he had ‘lost everything’ in the fire, including a number of personal possessions.

He was especially upset to have lost books he had been reading about the Second World War, including D-Day by Antony Beevor and Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose.

He added: “All my belongings went, my clothes and everything. Centrepoint Oureach helped me to recover - they were very good to me. I am hoping to get back into work in a factory.”