AN IMMIGRATION protest will take place in Boston next month – after campaigners said they were unhappy with a report on population change.
Protesters say they will hold a static demonstration in a bid to highlight issues with employment, education and anti-social behaviour, which they believe are linked to an influx of Eastern European migrants coming to the area.
The news follows the publication of a report by Boston Borough Council into the social impact of population change. A total of 28 recommendations were made by the group behind the report which aim to help tackle some of the issues in the town.
But some campaigners have said the ideas barely scratch the surface.
Campaigner Dean Everitt, who called off a protest earlier in the year to await the report, is behind the latest action and told The Standard: “They have not looked at solving any of these problems.”
The protest date was confirmed yesterday (Tuesday) as November 18 after a meeting with the police.
Officers say they have talked with partner agencies, including the council, to discuss the ‘potential implications’ and will work to make sure the event is a peaceful protest.
Coun Paul Kenny, chairman of the group which compiled the report, said people can have their say without the need to demonstrate and urged them to attend a council meeting to discuss the document on October 18.
He added: “If they have got any comments or disagreements they should come along to the scrutiny meeting on October 18.”
The news has sparked a big debate online over whether a protest in Boston is the way forward.
l See page six for full story