Last resident set to move out of Sycamores ahead of decision on future

The Sycamores, in Fishtoft.

The Sycamores, in Fishtoft.

0
Have your say

Tomorrow (Friday) will see the last resident move out of The Sycamores before a final decision on the future of the property next month which could see it demolished and houses built on the land.

The unit in Fishtoft has been the subject of a ‘long consultation’ says owners Boston Mayflower.

Documentation handed to residents appears to suggest that the unit will be closed, demolished and re-used for 16 family homes.

Murray McDonald, Chief Executive of Boston Mayflower, said: “After a long consultation with our residents and a rigorous review, I can confirm that a preferred option will now be recommended to our board for consideration on November 8.

“Residents have been aware for a while that the scheme needed to be vacated under any of the possible options and accordingly the last resident will have moved out by Friday.

“Our priority will be security of the building pending the decision at the board meeting.

“We continue to work closely with everyone who is affected by this review and are committed to supporting residents during this time.”

Boston Mayflower have looked into four options for the premises.

According to documentation given to residents at a recent meeting they included:

l ‘Doing nothing’ which the association says won’t work because £500k of maintenance is still required for the financial year. They added that an under-occupied scheme would not be ‘a sustainable or vibrant place to live’. They said there had been little interest from older people to live at the scheme.

l Full conversion of the scheme to a general needs accommodation, which they say would cost £2.6m and would involve changing the ground and first floor layours similar to other schemes. However, they said interest in the scheme ‘never got beyond 60 per cent’ and feedback suggested ‘limited public transport would be an issue’.

l Completing a ‘basic refurbishment’ to ‘improve the look and feel of the scheme’, which they said did not provide an assurance on fully letting the scheme in the future following ‘testing interest’.

l Finally, closure of the scheme, demolition and re-use of the land, which the company says is the ‘most sustainable way forward’. It will include re-using the land for new housing with the association suggesting 16 family homes could be located on the site. The say there is ‘proven demand for accommodation’.

The association says that bungalows could not be built on the land, because they would be more expensive, take up more land and be on land designated as ‘flood risk prioirty’.

They said that existing residents have been allocated other homes to move to and warden services will continue to be offered to bungalows surrounding the unit.

If option four was taken up, planning permission and formal consultation would take place.