I note with interest the position taken by Coun Richard Leggott and his opposition on the matter of council tax relief for those in receipt of benefits.
It is nothing less than a typical opportunist position taken by an amateur opposition absolved as they are from actually having to balance the books.
It is only right that everyone who can should make a contribution to their local services. The generosity of the state means that no one who is out of work or cannot work is genuinely impoverished is very likely to be no worse off than a low-income working taxpayer. It is simply wrong to expect the hard working to pay their council tax so that the non-working don’t have to.
I know of many working families who would very much like to have a council tax bill of only 25 per cent.
Thirteen years of Labour’s spending incontinence put this country into a parlous financial state.
Four years incompetence from the Bypass Independents did the same for Boston. Is Coun Leggott seriously suggesting that people already benefiting from the generosity of the taxpaying public should be absolved completely from ever paying a ha’penny in council tax?
Only a socialist or an opportunist would suggest anything quite so barmy.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North west