Recent branding of the council opposition as ‘amateur’ by a reader of this paper implies that he considers the current administration to be ‘professional’.
Does Mr Houle really believe that having a national (ie Conservative) party tag makes a councillor any more professional or competent than those without one?
I’d suggest that it is just the reverse. Independents have to be of a higher calibre both to get elected in the first place and then to operate as councillors. Independent councillors have to think for themselves; to stand up and be counted. They are free to vote as their conscience dictates while having to be accountable to their electorate.
Perhaps Mr Houle is happy to have an administration whose councillors just vote as they are told and never challenge what they believe to be wrong? They are like puppets on a string being strictly controlled by the party ‘whip’.
I don’t think that national politics should operate at district council level and I’m proud to be an independent councillor.
Independent councillor for south ward
- UPDATE: Boston shop owner found guilty of selling dangerous cigarettes
- COURT RESULTS: Latest results from Boston Magistrates’ Court
- UPDATE: Drivers escape with ‘minor injuries’ from Hubberts Bridge collision
- Friend of double murder victims drove with no licence or insurance to ‘do right thing’ and offer lift to fellow mourner
- Video: Lucky number 13? Couple celebrate birth of triplets after 13 years trying for a baby
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 10 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North