DCSIMG

Banned motorist took step-dad’s car for drive to party after drinking

Court news

Court news

A disqualified driver took his step-father’s car after he had been drinking so he could get to a party, magistrates have heard.

Justinas Ingelvicius, 28, of Fishtoft Road, Boston, appeared before the town’s magistrates’ court on Wednesday, pleading guilty to driving while above the limit, driving while disqualified, without insurance and taking the vehicle without the owners consent.

Prosecutor Jim Clare said police stopped Ingelvicius, a Lithuanian national who had lived in the country for 10 years, after seeing him driving slowly without lights. A breath test revealed he had 96 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath (legal limit 35).

Mr Clare read out a statement from Ingelvicius’ step-father which said: “I have tried to help him with his drinking, I’m not happy with what he has done. I just want him to stop offending and get help.”

Defending Phillipa Chatterton said apart from a drink-drive conviction in 2012 Ingelvicius’ other previous offences were related to drugs from his time in London.

She said he had not touched drugs since and had volunteered at Addaction. She said he had four months left of his driving ban.

On the night, December 23, she said, his mother and him had a celebratory Christmas dinner. However, after his parents went to bed, he stayed up and carried on drinking.

She said while online he was invited to a party and ‘foolishly’ took his step-fathers car.

She said her client had paid the £170 police release fee for the car, and that his step-father had sold it to remove future tempation.

Magistrates ordered Ingelvicius to carry out 130 hours’ unpaid work, and pay a £60 victim surcharge, £85 costs. They disqualified him from driving for three years.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page