Boston has scooped £1m of lottery cash earmarked for ‘forgotten’ parts of the country – and now the public gets to choose where to spend it.
The town centre is one of 50 areas nationwide to get a Big Local windfall and was chosen for help due to high levels of poverty, obesity and the low number of adults with qualifications.
The money can be spent on anything people want – from setting up businesses that boost the community, to tackling unemployment, fighting anti-social behaviour or funding activities and facilities not already on offer.
Mandy Exley, community cohesion officer at Lincolnshire CVS, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for the residents of Boston to decide how they want to improve their communities for the better.”
There will be £20,000 available in March to begin the project, with the rest spent over the next decade after a Big Local Plan is drawn up containing a wish list of what residents want to see to improve Boston.
The scheme is run by the Big Lottery Fund and managed by the Local Trust, with wards Staniland South, Pilgrim, Skirbeck, Witham, parts of Fenside and Boston Central to benefit.
Boston borough councillor Mike Gilbert, portfolio holder for communities, said: “The allocation of this funding is brilliant news for Boston. Wisely spent it will make Boston a great place to live.”
To discuss a fundraising idea visit www.localtrust.org.uk or call 020 7812 5456.
- UPDATE: Boston shop owner found guilty of selling dangerous cigarettes
- COURT RESULTS: Latest results from Boston Magistrates’ Court
- UPDATE: Drivers escape with ‘minor injuries’ from Hubberts Bridge collision
- Friend of double murder victims drove with no licence or insurance to ‘do right thing’ and offer lift to fellow mourner
- Video: Lucky number 13? Couple celebrate birth of triplets after 13 years trying for a baby
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 10 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North