Changes to the bus route through Boston town centre will be explored by councillors – although the operator does not want it to move.
Calls have been made to alter the route of the Into Town bus service to take it away from the pedestrianised area of the town centre, as there are fears for the safety of shoppers and concerns the road surface is being damaged.
However, according to Brylaine, which runs the service, there are no plans to make any changes to the route, regardless of the criticisms.
At a meeting of Boston Borough Council’s environment and performance committee last week, it was revealed that a members’ briefing will be taking place about the service on February 19.
Some councillors called for concerns to come before the committee following that.
Coun Paul Mould said: “The sooner we can do something about the bus going through Bargate, the better. There is damage being done.”
Coun Gloria Smith added: “There are all sorts of things that need to be looked at. What’s the point of having a pedestrianised area with a bus running through it?”
The service is currently subsidised by Lincolnshire County Council, but that arrangement is due to come to an end in June. The councillors said they thought it would be the perfect opportunity to address their concerns.
But, Malcolm Wheatley, operations director for Brylaine, said no such changes would be made to the service, which caters for around 2,400 passengers a month.
He told The Standard: “There is definitely no intention on our part to alter the route at all and no immediate plans to do anything other than keep it as it is. In short – it ain’t bust so we aren’t going to fix it.”