Campaigners have claimed success in their bid to stop a Boston road being used as a rat run – after bollards were put up to stop traffic.
For years drivers have ignored access-only laws in Wormgate which were supposed to stop them travelling along the narrow road, but two posts have now been erected near the junction with Fountain Lane to stop that happening.
Businesses along the historic street are hoping it will create a nicer environment for people visiting that part of town.
Jo Christmas, who owns Bizarro’s is one of the people who has supported the 25-year campaign.
She said the Wormgate community was delighted with the change and added: “It will be much more pleasant for potential customers to browse and much safer.”
The bollards, which have been put in as part of a Lincolnshire County Council scheme, are just one of a raft of measures to try to improve Wormgate and make it more welcoming for visitors.
Drainage issues which often meant buildings were splashed with water from large puddles have also been sorted.
Improved signage has also been put in place to warn people it is a primarily a pedestrianised area.
The plight of Wormgate was brought to the fore by Coun Carol Taylor last year, and she has been behind several projects in the area since then.
Jo said everyone in the area was very grateful for her input.
The councillor, who represents Witham ward, has now also turned her attentions towards raising the profile of Church Street.
She has set up a meeting with local businesses and other agencies to discuss it.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west