Did you receive some nice new electrical goods for Christmas this year? Then why not donate your old ones to help those less fortunate?
Unplugged, on Haven Business Park, take in unwanted electricals, recycle them and provide them to those who can’t afford technological luxuries, often for just a small donation.
The charity’s director Sophie Mann said: “We usually ask for a donation, but the idea is that the bits we refurbish go to the most needy in the community.”
Customers can drop off items at the business park on Slippery Gowt Lane.
If items can’t be repaired the volunteers take spare parts from them, this also applies to computer harddrives which are dismantled.
The company also helps disadvantaged volunteers and those who may be considered ‘unemployable’ to gain skills by training them.
Sophie said the company takes on between 50-60 volunteers a year. This is usually done through Boston College but anyone can apply.
She added: “The volunteers are getting employment skillsand bettering their social outlook, they build their confidence dealing with the public.
“We’re also improving community cohesion because all walks of life meet here.”
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west