Wednesday, January 3: 9.30am - A TROUBLED Boston school has closed its doors for good after more than 150 years' service to the town.
David Wilson, who owns Conway Primary School with his wife Caroline, said the decision to shut it was made on December 22 for a number of reasons.
He refused to comment further on the situation.
Mr Wilson bought the school in April 2005, after the former headteacher and owner, Simon McElwain, was arrested and charged with 25 offences of child pornography. He is due to appear at Lincoln Crown Court tomorrow (Thursday).
Under Mr McElwain the school had 140 pupils and employed 19 staff, with annual day fees costing around 3,500.
After the police charges emerged and Mr Wilson took over, pupil and staffing numbers fell.
Mark Lovell, of Boston, took his two children out of Conway in 2005 after paying school fees there for
four years. He told The Standard: "It is a great shame the only independent school in town has had to close.
"It is the biggest tragedy ever, especially with it having been formed so long ago."
Former nursery assistant Eleanor Teasdale, who worked at the school from September 2004 to July 2006, won a case of unfair dismissal against the school on November 28 last year.
She was awarded nearly 2,000 for loss of earnings.
She said: "It had been suspected the school may close for some time, but it was still a shock when it did."
Another former nursery assistant at Conway, Alice Gunning, won a similar court case in April.
Teacher Yvonne Elmes, who taught at the school's nursery from September 2002 to December 2005, said: "I am very sad Conway School has closed after all these years."