High-paid staff at Boston Borough Council and Lincolnshire County Council have come under fire in a report by the Taxpayers’ Alliance.
The body published the amount of staff paid more than £50,000 in 2011/12 at every local authority in the country – in a bid to show progress in cutting staff costs when council budgets are reducing.
Though Boston’s council came out with a comparatively low figure – with the report claiming six people on very high salaries – the county council was shown to have spent £17,732,500 on staff who were paid more than £50,000.
The amount of people receiving that amount had risen by 66 from the previous year – a rise of almost £5 million.
A county council spokesman said a lot of people had been made redundant that year, and had received pay-offs, pushing them over the £50,000 mark.
David O’Connor, executive director for performance and governance, said: “One of the first steps we took following the reduction in our budget was to reduce the number of senior managers.
“As a result we now have 33 fewer staff on salaries above £50,000 than we did a year ago.”
Boston Borough Council, which was said to have spent £445,000 on highly-paid staff, said the information was incorrect, and it had only five highly-paid staff, two of which are shared with another authority.
The council employs chief executive Rochard Harbord on a £108,000 15-day-a-month deal.
The alliance found that, overall, there were 28,754 staff council staff paid £50,000 plus in the UK, costing taxpayers £1.9 billion in 2011-12.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: South west