A new use beckons for a redundant chapel near Sibsey after planning permission was given to convert it into a home.
At an East Lindsey District Council planning meeting, members gave the green light for the historic Sibsey Northlands Methodist church – it was built in 1837 – to be converted to a two-storey dwelling.
The property is structurally sound but most of the interior, including the original balcony and seating, has been stripped out.
The application prompted objections from some neighbours who claim the proposal is ‘out of character’ and fear the installation of additional windows will result in their own homes and gardens being overlooked.
Councillors gave the green light for conversion after noting a report compiled by senior planning officer Chris Panton.
“The proposal is finely balanced,”he wrote. “The chapel is redundant and is no longer capable of serving as a place of worship.
“It is not considered suitable for commercial use given its location and relationship to residential properties.
“The only realistic means of assuring the future of the building – which is a heritage asset – is as a dwelling.”
The successful application was submitted by Terry Sykes (Design & build) on behalf of the Boston Methodist Circuit.