DCSIMG

Just handful of Boston’s flood-hit homes had contents insurance

News from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston

News from the Boston Standard, Lincolnshire: bostonstandard.co.uk, on Twitter @standardboston

 

Just a handful of Boston’s flood victims had contents insurance for their personal possessions which were lost in last week’s floods.

Out of 424 people who responded to a community impact assessment, run by a mix of organisations, 419 said they had not got contents insurance, it has been revealed by Boston Borough Council, leaving just five able to claim back for their damaged items.

A spokesman said the survey was sent out to affected properties following the floods and clean-up activities this week, and related up to December 11.

The latest statistics from Boston Borough Council say that there were 143 flood-affected streets, and that the council have visited 948 properties, of these they say that 851 properties did not require assistance.

There have been 451 flood-affected properties of which 23 remain high priority and are receiving assistance, 49 are at medium risk and are being supported and 25 properties have had no answer despite being visited up to ten times – leaflets and letters have been posted to these and police have confirmed no-one is at risk.

Boston Borough Council have also today (Friday) asked that building materials are not put out in the flood-affected streets for collection, or placed in the skips located in town for flood-damaged goods.

A spokesman said plasterboard, skirting board and building rubble are not considered domestic waste and private arrangements would have to be made, such as with a skip company, for this to be removed.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page