People are putting their lives on the line by taking ‘legal highs’ readily on sale in shops in Boston, officials have warned.
It comes after a man was admitted to Pilgrim Hospital after he was believed to have taken such a substance bought in the town.
‘Stomach complaints, seizure or even death’ are the common consequences of taking such substances, Trading Standards has said.
Emergency services were called to an incident involving the man in Spalding, at just before midday on Thursday.
A police spokesman said it was thought he had purchased the legal high, called Sensei, at a shop in Boston.
They said he and another man were believed to have taken it in Spalding.
He was later released from hospital safe and well and his friend was found not to be suffering ill effects..
The spokesman said there ‘had been a number of similar reports’ recently and that there was ‘clearly a risk to the health of individuals taking this substance’.
They said that, although the drugs were ‘legal’ there were other actions which could be taken, including notifying trading standards to investigate and educating young people on their use.
Insp Jim Tyner said: “Police and Trading Standards powers can be limited so our focus is very much on education and raising awareness amongst young people that ‘legal’ most certainly does not mean ‘safe’.
“We enjoy close relationships with our secondary schools, with officers and PCSOs heavily involved in delivering drug, alcohol and tobacco awareness talks, so we are well placed to broaden our message to cover all substances that can do harm to young people.”
A spokesman for Trading Standards said police had notified them of the drug called Sensei.
Service manager Ian Newell said: “Sensei appears to be one of a group of new psychoactive substances sold under various names, and we do carry out checks on retailers who have these products for sale.
“We would stress that many products sold as ‘legal highs’ are often controlled drugs and can result in prosecution.
“People need to be aware of quite how dangerous these products can be.
“The chemicals they contain have in most cases, never been used in drugs for human consumption before and haven’t been tested.
“There is no way of knowing what the long-term effects could be from these drugs.
“Reported side-effects range from short-term mental health issues (including violent outbursts), severe stomach complaints to coma, seizures and even death.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101.