DCSIMG

Primary school pupil wins competition with gas safety poster

Parents Kirsty Walker and Aaron Ison with Daniel Ely

Parents Kirsty Walker and Aaron Ison with Daniel Ely

A former Kirton Primary School student won a trip to London and £300 with a poster warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Daniel Ely, 12, who now attends Thomas Cowley School in Donington, was crowned the winner of a national competition after designing the poster while at Kirton.

Daniel, who designed the poster last summer, said: “I saw on the news that some people had died from breathing in carbon monoxide after having a barbeque near their tent, so I wanted to design my poster to make people aware of the dangers.

“I’m very excited I won and it was great going to the House of Lords as it was my first time on a train and going to London!”

Daniel, of Gosberton, used an image of a tent beside a barbeque to demonstrate the silent and deadly effects of carbon monoxide – an odourless, colourless gas which kills around 50 people each year and injures over 200 more.

He was named overall winner for the North of England and was presented with his prize and £500 for Kirton primary, at a special ceremony held at the House of Lords in London.

Higher level teaching assistant at Kirton primary Sharon Clarke said: “We are very proud of Daniel and the way he researched the dangers to make his poster more effective.. He tried really hard and put a lot of effort into finding the best way to get the 
message across.”

The national schools’ poster competition is run by independent registered charity, CO-Gas Safety, which works to prevent deaths and injury caused by CO poisoning and other gas dangers, while supporting victims and their families.

At the House of Lords the charity revealed 18 years of its own data on the devastating effect of deadly carbon monoxide. There have been a total of 653 deaths and 4653 near misses – 409 of which were found unconscious – caused by unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.

President of CO-Gas Safety Stephanie Trotter said: “Choosing our winners was a very hard decision as the standard of entries was so high, but Daniel’s design really stood out for its creativity.”

For more information about the schools’ poster competition and CO-Gas Safety visit www.co-gassafety.co.uk

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page