Plans to install 10 ‘traffic-calming’ chicanes along a busy stretch of road have been described as ‘ludicrous’ by residents.
Lincolnshire County Council (LCC) Highways has submitted proposals for the measure along Eastwood Road, which would narrow sections to single lines of traffic.
The council says it will help to reduce the speed of drivers using the 30pmh road between Boston and Fishtoft – but others say the sheer number of islands is excessive and will cause unnecessary traffic congestion.
“It’s a ludicrous idea,” said resident Jim Trynor, who lives in the road with wife Gloria.
“It’s a very busy road, especially in rush hour.
“This will also affect people who live on the other roads behind us that lead on to it.”
The proposals would see the islands stretch from near the junction to Stanhope Gardens to just past Toot Lane.
Gloria said: “We get a lot of boy racers, and this is going to make the traffic terrible as they will still try and push through.”
Jim added: “I think the money would have been better spent on speed cameras.”
The council is asking for commnts about the proposed scheme, which will cost £28,000, and said it has received ‘a mixed response’.
A spokesman for LCC also said a similar scheme is proposed for Tollfield Road, Boston.
Residents have until Friday to put their comments forward. Call 01522 782070. For more on this story, see next week’s Boston Standard.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west