Fire officers have issued a safety warning after freak circumstances involving sun shining through a magnifying glass sparked a house blaze in Boston.
The house fire in Sunningdale Drive on Saturday was started when sunlight reflected through a magnifying glass onto some curtains.
Fire crews said events were ‘unlikely’ but warned people that this sort of fire is possible.
A spokesman said: “It sounds unlikely but unfortunately these types of incidents do happen – the sun’s rays can be powerfully hot when magnified via a mirror, glass or crystal.
“Our advice is to keep highly-reflective or magnifying materials away from direct sunlight.”
Crews from Boston, Kirton and Leverton attended the conservatory fire which was extinguished using four breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera.
The spokesman said there was severe smoke and fire damage to the UPVC conservatory.
The blaze also left severe smoke and moderate fire damage to the dining room and light damage by smoke to the kitchen.
Outside there was severe damage by fire to fencing, facia boards and guttering.
The billowing smoke could be seen across the town.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west