A dedicated sailor has received one of the Royal Yachting Association’s top awards from HRH the Princess Royal.
Witham Sailing Club’s Paul Burton was awarded with an Outstanding Contribution Award, after being nominated by his club and selected as a winner by the awards panel.
Paul has been involved with the club for a long time and when it was in danger of closing a few years ago, he led the remaining members in devising a development plan to turn the situation around.
He was at the heart of organising open days, recruitment events, kickstarted the social programme and ran away weekends at Rutland to bring the clubs together.
He put himself through the senior instructor course so the club could become an RYA Training Centre and has also organised the club’s grant applications.
Sarah Treseder, RYA Chief Executive said: “The RYA is delighted to make this award in recognition of Paul’s enthusiasm, promotion of our sport and many years’ contribution to the East Midlands’ boating scene.
“The 56 RYA winners are an inspiration to us all and it is my pleasure to recognise and celebrate their hard work and dedication.”
He was presented the award by Princess Anne, RYA president, at the the organisation’s annual awards ceremony at London’s One Great George Street last month.
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 37 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east