A Boston man has celebrated his 100th birthday - by carrying out the Salvation Army role he has served in the town for 80 years.
Jack Webb, of King Street, sat in Boston’s busy Strait Bargate on Wednesday to sell the Salvation Army’s magazine The War Cry – with a big balloon to mark his big day.
Jack is a familiar face for many in the town and he attracted a variety of people who stopped to wish him well on his milestone day.
“It’s very important for me to be here today,” Jack said, “As I have done this for so long.”
On Saturday a surprise party and reunion was held in his honour.
About 150 people gathered at the Salvation Army headquarters in High Street to mark his birthday with a special surprise.
Jack has been one of the original members of the old Salvation Army Young People’s Band in Boston, formed around 1959 – and at the party 15 members joined him. Some of these he had not seen in more than 50 years.
His son Tim said: "He was really chuffed.
"He woke up on his birthday and just said 'I made it!'”
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west