For the past few years the street pastors have been helping distressed people on nights out in Boston town centre.
The teams have been praised extensively for the work they do to make the town safer on Friday and Saturday nights – and now there are even more people to help with the work.
Eight new street pastors were commissioned on Friday, taking the amount patrolling the town’s streets to 34.
The volunteers were welcomed into their new roles in a service at Centenary Methodist Church on Friday.
The ceremony, which was the third of its kind to take place in Boston, marked the 10th anniversary of street pastoring in Britain.
The new volunteers are: John Wright, David Herd, Andrea Herd, Colin Chambers, Elle Chambers, Kelly Wright, Margaret Allday and Leonice Eigenmann. They are pictured right.
The new recruits have been through 50 hours of training to get to this point. From now on, they will be spending time listening to people they encounter in the streets, exercising a calming influence, giving out flip-flops, cleaning up broken glass, finding taxis and phoning parents.
The group got out on the streets right away following the service to take up their roles with supervision from more experienced pastors, and support from 34 prayer backers, ready to take calls when necessary.
Street pastors, who are members of churches around the borough, are on the streets from 10pm to 4am on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west