An attempt to rescue a horse which had fallen into the River Witham this afternoon (Wednesday) has ended sadly when the animal died.
Despite being pulled from the river and treated by a combined force of team of police, fire and rescue and vets, the horse did not survive.
The Standard understands the horse was more than 30 years old.
Despite some confusion in the early stages, it is believed the horse was not giving birth.
Wednesday, 3.42pm - A horse which fell in the River Witham this afternoon is now giving birth.
The black and white mare, belonging to the Redstone traveller site, was pulled from the Witham by emergency services at 3.10pm, according to police.
Earlier, it was believed the horse was very tried and may not survive - but a spokesman has now confirmed the horse is giving birth.
A vet from Marshlands Veterinary Centre is now on the scene.
Another horse is also on the bank at the scene of the accident, near Boston Rowing Club.
Keep visiting the Boston Standard website for updates as we get them.
- UKIP councillors: “We’re not racist”
- UPDATE: Missing man found safe and well in Boston
- Open prison absconder charged with indecent exposure, knifepoint robbery, burglary and serious assaults
- COURT RESULTS: Latest Boston cases before the courts
- “I want to be picking up trophies!” Carl Piergianni hopes Boston United can help him get over his Corby Town relegation
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west