A woman who lost her husband to a sudden heart attack is on a mission to get the whole community involved in fundraising in his memory.
Rachel Stow’s husband Darren died in 2011, aged 44, leaving daughters Izzy, now six, and four-year-old Milly.
Now, the family, of Bert Allen Drive, Old Leake, are trying to channel their grief into raising as much money as possible for the British Heart Foundation through the Rock Up in Red event on February 1.
So far, Rachel and her friend Kerry Howley, who is helping with the task, have got Old Leake Primary School on board, and they are now working on other businesses.
Rachel said: “The school has been fantastic with my children and they’ve really got behind us. Hopefully it will be a group effort.”
Neither Rachel nor the children had chance to say goodbye to Darren before he died, and she said that had been difficult for them as a family, adding that fundraising had provided ‘a bit of a focus’ for them.
“I can’t change things, but, hopefully, fundraising might help others,” Rachel said.
Several companies in the area have already agreed to get involoved with the initiative, where people pay £1 to dress in red for the day.
To make a donation visit www.lastinghope.bhf.org.uk/darrenstow
- Conservatives lose control of Lincolnshire County Council
- LATEST: Man appears before court charged with Boston double murders
- Whatever happened to Julian Joachim? Ex-Aston Villa, Leicester City, Leeds United and Coventry City striker on target for Freiston Reserves in the Boston Saturday Football League
- Lincolnshire County Council candidates revealed as the race for Boston seats begins
- £13k of business cash lost over event that never happened
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Boston, Lincolnshire
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west