Mad Hatters fun at Kitwood Girls’ School

editorial image

editorial image

1984: A grieving widow was calling for a body to be exhumed after it was mistakenly buried beside her husband’s in Boston Cemetery – in the space reserved from her.

The woman said: “My husband always wanted us to be buried side by side. It was a dreadful shock when the council came and told me what happened.”

The council, which was looking into the matter, apologised for the error .

Youngsters from Kirton were among 340 people who ran for Britain in Boston’s super fun-run.

Despite the cold and wet, there was a massive turn-out for the charity run in aid of the Olympic Appeal Fund and Pilgrim Hospital’s children’s ward.

Police warned all vicars in Lincolnshire to lock up the churches at night following a spate of thefts from churches over weekends.

Television’s International Superstars champion and Olympic athlete Brian Hooper visited Stickney to welcome 10 runners from William Lovell Secondary School.

The pupils had brought the flaming torch from Wainfleet as part of the Olympic Appeal’s Round Britain Run.

The former UK pole vault champion watched the school’s pupils – and nine of the staff – take part in a sponsored run around the playing field to raise £1,500 to be split between the Olympic appeal and the school.

Picture: Kirton’s Kitwood Girls’ School staged a Mad Hatters’ Night to raise money for disabled children at Sunray Opportunity Playgroup at Allen House.

The event included a hat competition and a disco.

The hats ranged from the outlandish to the beautiful - and the winner was Donna Lunn.


A Boston family received some strange news when a telegram arrived with the words ‘we regret to inform you that your son died...’

Mrs A. Kent, of Horncastle Road, was dismayed to receive the letter about her son, Frank Kent, who was in the Fleet Air Arm – as when she received the message Frank was home on leave!

Mrs Kent had three sons serving in the forces, with Frank being the youngest. He spent some time in the east where he had a serious accident and was sent to for hospital treatment before arriving back in Boston on sick leave.

A worker at a Marsh Lane potato factory befell a tragic end when his clothing became entangled in machinery, was ripped from his body and became entwined around his neck, strangling him to death.




Back to the top of the page