POLITICIANS have called for patience from protestors who are considering marching against the impact of immigration on Boston.
The people behind last year’s aborted march say they feel increasingly frustrated by what is being said at a council inquiry into the issue, which aims to produce a report to win extra Government money and help.
Following an appearance by MP Mark Simmonds at the inquiry on Friday, they vowed to hold a public meeting on June 28 and will vote on whether to take to the streets. The location of the meeting has not been revealed.
At the hearing Mr Simmonds described immigration as a ‘very serious and complicated’ issue highlighting positive and negative aspects.
Mr Simmonds said: “Of course the influx of economic migrants has had an impact on the life of people in Boston, particularly those living right in the centre of Boston where a significant majority of the migrants live.
“I think there have been positive aspects out of migration as well. If you talk on a Saturday morning to some market stall holders the people spending the money are the economic migrants.”
He urged people to wait until the inquiry – a Boston Borough Council task and finish group – ends, adding after the meeting: “I very much hope the march won’t take place. Inevitably it would suck in people who I don’t want to see in Boston.”
Task and finish group vice-chairman Paul Gleeson said the hearings have already helped the council move towards licensing overcrowded homes and said: “I can’t see what a protest march at the moment will achieve – it’s not going to get our report out any quicker.
“It will only open the town to violence and will only make it harder for us to get our report accepted.”
Campaigner Dean Everitt said the hearings – which previously featured headteachers, police and unions – had not produced enough ‘straight answers’.
He said: “We have got the council to listen which is as far as it has gone. They have listened and not done anything about the problems.”
He was upset that Mr Simmonds’ meeting was shorter than previous hearings and that, unlike at other meetings, the public had to wait until after councillors to ask questions.
The MP has vowed to offer written answers to questions he did not have time to address.