The first phase of a major housing development which could bring 460 extra people to the town has been approved despite concerns.
The application, which will see the first 48 houses of a potential 152 built on land at Broadfield Land, in Boston, was given the go ahead at Boston Borough Council’s planning committee last Tuesday.
Alan Finch, of agents Stepford Group, described the development as ‘one of the most significant planning applications in the borough for many years’.
He said: “To be able to provide traditional two storey housing within one kilometre of the town centre is certainly sustainable.”
Many concerns were raised by objectors at the meeting regarding the increased amount of traffic in Broadfield Lane.
Resident John Shaw represented residents in putting forward traffic fears and concerns over the growing population in the area. It is estimated an extra 39 primary and 35 secondary school places will be required due to the development.
Ward councillor Bob McAuley said most residents agreed there was a need for housing and to improve the area.
He said: “The residents of the area need assurances there will be no impact to access other than that shown.”
The county council highways officers had approved the plans, saying in a report that junctions at Sleaford Road and Queen Street were traffic signal controlled and could cope with more demand.
They also argued people were likely to walk or cycle to the town centre because it is close by.
Councillors and members of the public were also told developers would be making improvements to the first 30 metres of Broadfield Lane to help deal with the flow of traffic.
Other concerns surrounded vandalism of the play area which would be provided south of the site as part of the development because equipment previously had been damaged there.
However, it was recommended that improved CCTV would be installed in the area to prevent this.