BOSTON was gripped by royal fever for the second time this year when HRH The Princess Royal visited The Stump.
Crowds turned out to cheer the royal as she arrived to officially open the new community and visitor facilities, in a trip referred to as ‘first class’ by the man at the head of the £250,000 project. She was greeted by the sound of the church bells, which were rung especially for the occasion.
The princess, who is the patron of The Stump’s restoration and development appeal, viewed the new cafe and shop and enjoyed a service of dedication in her honour during the short visit last Tuesday.
Unveiling a plaque to mark the development project, which has been ongoing for a number of years, Her Royal Highness said: “It’s a great pleasure to be here to mark this progress and your achievement in supporting St Botolph’s and helping it to do much more than what it might do for the parish and beyond, for its visitors and all who come here.
“I hope you will all be impressed with what has been achieved and perhaps want to see even more of St Botolph’s than you would have done in the past and enjoy the facilities that are on offer now.”
People cheered as Princess Anne’s car drew up to the north door, and they clapped as she was welcomed by local dignitaries, including Mayor of Boston Colin Brotherton, Boston Borough Council’s chief executive Richard Harbord and Coun Martin Palmer, chairman of Lincolnshire County Council. Clergy from the Diocese of Lincoln were also included in the line up to greet the princess, who is tenth in line to the throne.
She was accompanied by the Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire Tony Worth, the queen’s representative in the county.
In the service of dedication Bishop of Lincoln the Rt Rev Christopher Lowson said: “Today we say thank you to HRH The Princess Royal for being with us today in the midst of a very busy year and thank her for her support and patronage over these past years.”
Several months of work went into creating The Stump’s new shop, offices, cafe and brand new toilets earlier this year. Funding for the work, which was the culmination of 20 years of planning, was provided by five different organisations.
After Her Royal Highness’ visit on Tuesday, project manager Peter Coleman said: “That was absolutely first class. We have been planning for this for so many years. To see it happen and for her to come and open it crowns it all off.”