A scout has been awarded for helping to save an elderly neighbour’s life after she fell ill at her Fishtoft home.
Sam Graves, of the 5th Boston Scouts, was helping a neighbour to move house with his family when his first aid skills were put to the test.
Neighbour Maureen, 65, stumbled and passed out on the floor.
Eleven-year-old Sam calmly took his younger brothers upstairs to stop them being stressed by the incident while his mum, beaver scout leader Diane, placed Maureen into the recovery position while husband Shane dialled 999.
While Shane and Maureen’s partner Tony went outside to move cars from the drive to make room for the ambulance, Sam came downstairs and took over on the phone, relaying details between the ambulance service and his mum.
He then went over to Maureen to help as she had rolled herself onto her back and started choking. Sam’s instincts kicked in and he calmly checked Maureen’s airway was clear before putting her back into the recovery position.
When the First Responder arrived, he went and brought him through and then calmly went back upstairs to continue taking care of his brothers.
Maureen was taken to the hospital where it was discovered the problem was with her blood pressure and she was allowed home later in the day.
Boston Scouts district commissioner Robert Johnson said: “As DC, I am very proud of this remarkable young man.
“He is a shining example of Scouting and a credit to himself, his family and scouting everywhere. Well done Sam.”
Haven High pupil Sam holds the Emergency Aid Staged Activity Badge Level 1 and is now working towards his level 2.